10.27.2007

"Congratulations, you have the 3 most annoying kids I have ever seen!"

This was not the comment I was expecting, especially after I had just endured a long 8 hour day of waiting in the airport and being stuck on a plane with three small kids. I was thinking something more along the lines of -Congratulations, you made without killing your kids and yelling profanities... all without a taking a Valium- would have been more appropriate. I felt as if I had just been slapped in the face. Who does this man think he is? I felt a knot in my throat and swallowed it down as to show no sign of emotion. This cruel mans unsolicited opinion was the last thing I wanted on the last 5 minutes of my anxiety ridden day.

After the shock of this mans harsh words wore off I was able to respond back. Being kind and slightly sarcastic I replied, "WOW,... that was the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me!" He wasn't quite sure how to respond to that, "Ya, well those kids were screaming and kicking the seats and..." I tuned the rest out. I think he managed to throw the word brats in there. While he was speaking I thought to myself that if I new this man was going to be the spawn of Satan I would of had Kaleb kick the seat more often and a little harder. The whole thing was happening in slow motion. Why couldn't I just hit fast forward and not deal with this...at least right now (or ever for that matter), especially while my emotions were running high. By this time this man had managed to get every ones attention that were standing around waiting to get off the plane. Every one was staring at me, there was not a hole deep enough that I could have crawled into to escape this embarrassment. If there was ever a good time to yell TERRORIST! or BOMB! now was the time. Anything to get the attention off of me.

I looked at this man after he said his cutting words, my face still in shock and disbelief. And believe it or not, still with a forced smile (it's a curse, I usually laugh or smile when I'm trying not to cry) I said, "Well you know what?, I think they did pretty dang good considering they've been on an airplane all day long AND I'm flying with them all by myself!". With more frustration than before than man lashes back, "Ya, well you shouldn't be able to fly with those kids", I respond back, with peering eyes every where, "Ya, well unfortunately I have no choice and after all YOU were the one that chose to sit by ME". The comment that I really should have said was -Ya, well I wish I didn't have to fly but my Mom just died I'm going to her funeral- (sorry mom, your name was just the first to pop into my head) or -I wish I didn't have to fly by myself, but my husband just died two week ago- (sorry nate, again, just the first name that popped in) Awww, that would have been good. It would have made him look like more of an idiot and make me feel a whole heck of a lot better even if it was a lie.

Then he made some other snide remark, too insignificant to remember or blocked from memory because it was too hurtful...take your pick. Then I asked, "Do you have any kids?" (mind you, I'm still completely calm and polite, showing no signs of the tears that were welling up in my eyes) "YES, I have 5!", I was actually quite shocked with his response. Surely a man this belligerent and rude (and ugly) had never been able to get married due to a complete lack of people skills and the fact that he was, well.... an idiot. So again, very sarcastically and with a half slanted smile I ask, "Are they all as kind as you?". Again another snide and ruthless remark, "Yes, they are and after seeing YOUR kids I feel like I did a pretty dang good job". HAAA, I couldn't believe what I was hearing, not only was this man attacking every thing I am as a person -a Mother- he was attacking my kids. How was it possible that 15+ people could just stand around and witness this man verbally attacking me. Either they agreed with what this man had to say or they were cowardly. Unfortunately, my self-conscious mind leans toward the first option.

By this point the rest of the conversation was a blur. All I could seem to focus on was forcing a smile on my face as best I could and not giving this man the satisfaction of seeing me cry.

Finally, everyone started to file out of the plane. I took a deep breath, gathered up my kids (and what was left of my ego) and boarded off the plane. The whole time telling myself -be strong, be strong- while another voice inside was yelling -SHE'S GONNA BLOW! As I walked by the flight attendant she kindly said to me (not hearing the conversation), "Your kids did such a great job!". I managed to say a quick thank you, while I laugh to myself, she obviously had no idea what she was talking about.

I've said before in a previous post that I tell Nate that distance makes the heart grow fonder. It's always so wonderful to see each other for the first time. This was supposed to be a great reunion, he hugs me and says I missed you, I hug him and say, here...take the kids, I sooo need a break (and that I missed him to of course, but where's the humor in that?). Instead it was quite the opposite. I walk out, see his face...a kind face, someone who loves me, someone who would never hurt me, someone who would do anything in his power to protect me (seriously, you should hear some of the dreams he has about protecting his family. They get kind of crazy). Any way,... all I wanted to do was run to give him a hug and just break down and let out all the days pent up emotions, but I was still under the watchful eyes of the people who witnessed this heated conversation on the plane. The little voice, a little louder, repeats again in my mind stay strong...just make it to the car.

I couldn't even look at Nate, even saying the slightest hello could open the flood gates. Yes, the dam that I had built behind my tear ducts was about to burst, so I kept quite, holding back the tears constantly swallowing down the knot that kept getting stuck in my throat. I did manage to mumble out that no one was dead, and that the kids didn't do anything bad...that was about it.

The walk from the gate, to baggage claim, to the car was a long and awful one. As we walked in silence, scenes kept repeating over and over in my mind of what had just taken place. It was like a bad re-run that I unwilling had to watch. That mans ice cold words kept repeating in my mind slowly and maliciously as the first time he had said it, "Congratulations, you have the 3 MOST annoying kids I have EVER seen!".

Finally the car was in sight, a safe place for me to hide and let it all out...and boy did I ever. Poor Nate, I'm surprised he didn't just leave me on the curb and say call me when you get a hold of yourself woman or slap me and say pull yourself together you crazy lady! No instead he reacted quite the opposite, "Where is that guy?, what does he look like?, I'm going to go punch his face in!" sure, it sound good in theory. I love that he was trying to protect my honor and all, but lets be honest here. The only thing that Nate could ever hurt would probably be a cat (he's not a huge cat fan), but punching an actual person?...the odds of that are slim to none.

So we made it home. The flight was great. I just wish the last 5 minutes had never happened. And I'm trying hard....really, really hard to get over what that guy said to me. Unfortunately it's a lot easier said than done.

No worries, I'll be OK..."I will survive" will just have to be my theme song for the next week or so. And I've got to think of a better name for that guy instead of saying, "that man". It needs to be something better...I think the spawn of Satan has a nice catch to it (Nate's idea). Or I perhaps I could call him "the man who must not be getting any lovin' at home" (maybe that's why he's so ornery). I do have some other choice names I could call him, but unfortunately they all got edited out due to keeping this PG rated. Any other ideas for naming this man would be welcomed.

10 comments:

Merilee said...

I feel so bad! You are a very strong person. I don't think I would have held it together as well as you did. It sound like a bad dream.
I like "Spawn of Satan" or maybe just "Beelzebub"(sp?)..James used that as a code name for a friend gone bad, who stole money from us. Seems fitting.

the mama monster said...

What about " he who must not be named" "volde junior" or " that ass from the airplane" I too am sorry that this happened to you. It's funny because our family can bug we can think that things about them but if anyone else has the nerve to say bad things about them we go protection mode on them! I would seriously have let out many a profane words at the guy, so horray for you for being calm. I do what you do after a confrontation, I always think " I should have said this or done that." Unlike Jessica, who does say the right thing and then later says " maybe I shouldn't have said that or done that!" Seriously good for you for standing up to him.... don't let it get to you to badly, you are a great mom and your kids are great kids.

Unknown said...

ok, well the music is a fabulous touch, it lasted just long enough for me to finish reading the post. one great thing about blogs, when you are still raw about a situation, or still touchy, you don't have to relive it with every telling, you can simply refer to your blog:)
oh let's be positive, it made a great blog entry, and the way you were heading it was a uneventful ride home, how can that be possible with three small children and todays airport security? I think its a compliment to you as a mother that your story had to relate a rude, arrogant man, instead of Caleb and the Security Guard, Masie and the Bathroom, or perhaps Abrie and the Pilot.
Congratulations!!

Jenny said...

Well let me at him, that pisses me off. First of all I would have cried hard and I would have looked around at all the people and said can you believe this guy. Unbelievable..... I can't believe people are actually that rude. Your strong to be able to hold all that in, that would have been so hard. Your definately made from a different mold then me. I'm a ball bag that is for sure. Good job

Angela said...

I CANNOT believe he kept at you. One comment is plenty rude, but continual biting remarks is unconscionable! I'd wager he didn't have much interaction with his 5 perfect children, because he obviously knows very little about small children.

I would have lashed out at him and then cried. I can't believe you took it so well.

I am truly sorry you had endure the ramblings of a jackass. I guess you can always consider the source.

Angela said...

Ginnie, I just read your post to Rob and upon a second reading I've decided no one stood up for you because your were holding your own so well. I think they wanted to see how it would play out. I think you handled him amazingly well. If it helps, Rob said he would have stood up for you. (Maybe Rob and Nate could have taken him together. Wouldn't that be funny...two of the nicest guys in existance.)

AmyG said...

I would have done one of two things: burst into tears or completely lost it which would then have turned into the security guards caring me off the plane in a rage. You handled it very well. For his rude comments I hope he is cursed with grandchildren that are REALLY annoying!

Ginnie said...

Thanks guys for the extra boost in confidence and trashing that loser of a man... you guys are the best!

Jenna said...

That's when Kaleb needed to say his famous line " I will get my guns, and I will shoot you if you talk to my mama like that." Don't ya think so?

Jessica said...

I have acouple of choice words I would have said to him but they are more on the NC-17 side. I try not to say bad things, but in that situation they would have come flying out before I knew it. He is probably some loser guy that has no life and probably lied about having kids. And if by some odd chance he has kids maybe he was such an awful dad that they were afraid of him. Just know you are the better person. People who feel the need to hurt other people obviously have serious problems.