Every year on the first day of school there is an anthem, my anthem. A song that's fitting for the first day of school. A song that expresses the thoughts and feelings that I cannot adequately express myself. Last year, it was Hallelujah! This year it was "Celebrate Good Times.... (come on)!"
There was genuine excitement in the air as the kids left for school (mostly on my part). Eden and I waved them goodbye, blew them a handful of kisses (plenty to last them the whole day through), and we watched as they walked off to school joining the hordes of children dressed in their crisp, new school clothes.
Eden and I had so much fun together coloring, reading, snacking, dancing, playdough-ing, hide-and-seeking... and any other appropriate action verb that involves a 2 year old.
Pretty soon I had exhausted my fun resources and that was only the first 20 minutes.
You do realize one can impersonate Elmo and recreate farm animal sounds (disturbingly well, might I add) for only so long.
I slowly started to reconsider that maybe this whole summer-being-over and school-starting-up thing wasn't such a great idea after all. I had become my child's only form of entertainment... 6.25 hours a day... Monday through Friday... me & Eden... Eden & me.
I guess it's a good thing she's so cute... and takes naps.
. . . . .






No comments:
Post a Comment